Despite what you may have seen on your Facebook news feed, Walmart is not offering a free $75 coupon to celebrate their anniversary.
Appearing on the social media site this week, Snopes cautions that the posting is a scam; just like every other similar one in the past.
Those who click on the link will be taken to an external survey, that once filled out, will then require the user to reshare the deal to their friends. Of course, no “coupon” ever materializes.
To protect yourself from scammers, watch out for the following:
- People asking you for money who you don’t know in person.
- People asking you for advance fees in order to receive a loan, prize or other winnings.
- People asking you to move your conversation off of Facebook (example: a separate email).
- People claiming to be a friend or relative in an emergency.
- Poor spelling and grammar mistakes.
Again, the Better Business Bureau would like to note that if the offer is too good to be true, it is likely a scam.
Susan Saunders 12/4/19